Thursday, November 24, 2005

A "Flabu-less" Thanksgiving

Getting through Thanksgiving was a breeze this year because I was the cook and had complete control over the menu. This enabled me to ensure there were plenty of tasty, low-carb offerings that would please everyone. It was a bit of a challenge to come up with new recipes instead of the traditional, carb-laden favorites. But, that's also part of the fun!

Since we were dining later in the day, I warded off the temptation to snack on sweets by helping myself to a few handfuls of Blue Diamond almonds, which now come in a variety of bold flavors, such as Wasabi & Soy (my personal favorite), Maui Onion & Garlic, and Lime 'n Chili. Since the nuts are pretty salty, a cold drink was in order. For something a bit more special (and filling), I mixed a Tangerine Diet Rite soda with a few ounces of half and half. It tastes like a creamsicle! Try it sometime!

To maximize the flavor and moistness of the turkey, I chose to sacrifice aesthetics and roasted it breast side down, on a rack. This always ensures tender and flavorful meat because the fatty deposits under the skin along the backbone melt slowly and self-baste the bird while it's cooking. Of course, I added a bit of butter to make sure there were plenty of drippings for hand basting, too.

I love cranberry sauce, but it's loaded with sugar! So, instead of serving regular cranberry sauce, I made my own sugar-free version by cooking a bag of rinsed, fresh cranberries in a little water and adding enough Splenda to sweeten. Cranberries themselves are very low in carbs, so by removing the sugar, I was able to enjoy my turkey with cranberry sauce and didn't miss a thing.

Among the vegetable side dishes was a "flabu-less" mashed cauliflower with cheddar and sour cream, which tastes surprisingly similar to real mashed potatoes. And for dessert? None other than a slice of homemade, low-carb New York Style Cheesecake. Yum!

Not once did I feel like I was deprived or on a diet. Although I probably consumed a few more carbs than I would have on a normal day, my carb intake was definitely well within an acceptable range. All in all, a "flabu-less" Thanksgiving!

Comments:
this is a really nice blog. my daughter would love you. she's always watching what she eats, she's a diabetic..her blog is..http://terrijean.blogspot.com
she's a writer.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?